Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Food for thought, I'm still chewing on it!

Snares, gins, and traps!
(James Meikle, "The Traveler" 1730-1799)
I am exposed to temptations from every quarter.
As my finite wisdom cannot prevent my being tempted, so my feeble power cannot resist being overtaken by them.
I have Your grace to adore, that I am not overcome with every temptation which assaults me.
Human nature is like a pile of dry wood shavings; and temptation is like a spark of fire cast into it.It must be divine power that hinders all from going into a blaze!
O kind compassion! O tender mercy!O glorious grace!
I am nothing; hence I shall think humbly of myself--but highly of Your grace.
What a thorny path is human life!
How is it strewed with snares, gins, and traps--for head and feet, for heart and hands.
If I lift up my head in pride, I fall into the condemnation of the devil.
If I am not watchful in my goings, I am cast into a net by my own feet, and walk into a snare.
Vanity is ready to fill my heart, and wickedness my hands.
Satan has his deceptive and powerful weapons against each of my bodily senses.
I am beset with snares on every side!
Two lessens I am taught, which, through grace, I never shall forget:
1. To be distrustful of myself.
2. To be confident in God, and strong in His grace.
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1"
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16

1 comment:

Carol said...

Boy, can I relate to that! So true. Thanks for sharing.